2 AGM workers terminated via phone call

first_img…no formal notice issued…Union to meet today with company at Labour DeptThe Aurora Gold Mine recently terminated their contract between several miners, some of whom have been employed with the company for over one year.On Monday Guyana Times spoke to two miners, who said that their employment was terminated without any written notice, but rather via a telephone phone call. They indicated that the company would have laid them off with immediate effect without any reasons given. Some of these persons were working with the company for over 14 months.“We were laid off by the company without any notice, without any compensation. In just a normal conversation over the phone. So far, there is more but I don’t know how many more is in the process of receiving this. They never tell me the reason. The just say the contract terminated,” one worker said.Another recalled, “They just tell we by a phone call, not no letter or nothing and they didn’t tell me why. I working there one year and four months but the company don’t confirm you so when they ready, they can tell you to leave any time they want.”On Sunday the National Mine Workers Union (NMWU) expressed grave dissatisfaction that they were not given a chance to represent these workers completely. According to the Union President, Sherwayne Downer, it has been weeks since they provided documentation to visit the mine site but permission was never granted by the company. He insisted that they have not been able to assess the conditions under which these workers are operating among other matters.Guyana Times understands that the Union will be meeting with the officials of AGM today at the Labour Department to hammer out pressing issues.Employees of the AGM have decried that there is no formal working pattern or hiring scheme for miners at the mining company. In many instances, their services are terminated with immediate effect, since there is no merit to the contractual agreement signed upon employment.Back in June, over 200 workers had downed their tools and initiated strike actions for two days after calls mounted for them to be officially represented by a union and other improved working conditions and wages.During the strike, the workers had claimed that they were threatened with having their internet connection disconnected, which is vital to ensure communication from their Cuyuni-Mazaruni location to the coast. They were also demanding better wages, better quality food and laundry services, out of town allowance, missing NIS contributions among others.Later, they called on Government to establish an industrial court to settle disputes and other legal matters.last_img